Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pattern Remixing

I've been following this little blog Project Run & Play for a while.  
If you aren't familiar it's kind of like Project Runway but the competitors are bloggers who are sewing for children.  Each week they have a challenge and at the end of the week someone is voted off til eventually there is a winner.  
It's so fun to see what the bloggers come up with.  
There's also a viewer sew-along.
This season I decided to sew along with them.
This first week's challenge is a pattern remix of The Party dress by Lindsay at The Cottage Home.
Here's a picture of her dress
 

The challenge is to remix the pattern and put our own spin on it.

Here's my version of the Party Dress

I'll start from the top of the dress and work my way down.
I turned the bodice around and put the buttons on the front of the dress.
Next, I made the sash thinner and longer.  
It wraps around the back of the dress then around the front and ties in the front.
On Lindsay's dress she does a solid color block band around the bottom, but for mine I did a zig-zag band around the bottom.
This part was the most time consuming part.  This is the closest I've come to quilting.

I made two rows of squares to sew on to the bottom to make the zig-zag band.  
It came with some trial & error but I really like the end result.

Here's a better look at the band.
I really love the fabric and how the dress turned out.

I will be adding it to the linky party over at Project Run & Play so come by and check it out!




3 comments:

  1. Love the zigzag panel at the bottom! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks fabulous! That zig-zag band looks tricky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the zig-zag panel is so fun - it just makes this dress POP!!!

    ReplyDelete