Friday, April 6, 2012

Garden Pasta

I've been trying to figure out how I can sneak some veggies to my kiddos.  
Aubrey has always been a pretty good eater, she'll try just about anything once.
Paden & Colton however, are pretty particular about what they eat.
Here's a typical menu for them.
Breakfast: Kashi (has to be Kashi, no other brand) shredded wheat cereal
Lunch: Peanut butter & jelly or macaroni and cheese
Dinner: I give them what we eat and hope for the best but usually they don't eat it.
Sometimes I can throw something different in there and they will eat it.  When that happens it's a great day!
Another thing they like is pasta with tomato sauce.
I would say most kids like that.
So I came up with this recipe to sneak some vegetables into their diet.

Garden Pasta

1 onion, chopped
1 small sweet potato, cooked & mashed
1 Cup frozen, chopped spinach
1 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
2 cloves garlic chopped
12-16 oz pasta
About 1/2 jar of pasta sauce
Shredded cheese (optional)

Cook pasta til  al dente 
preheat oven to 350*
Cook onion in sprayed saucepan til starting to turn translucent.  Add garlic, spinach & sweet potato.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Add basil.  
Put onion mixture in blender and blend til smooth adding water or broth if needed.
Put onion mixture back into sauce pan, add pasta sauce.
mix well.
Pour pasta into sprayed baking dish.
If using cheese, sprinkle over top of pasta.
Bake in 350* oven for about 25 minutes or until cooked through and cheese is melted.

As you can see, the secret ingredient is the sweet potato.
It gives the pasta a creamy texture and you can't taste it.
The spinach is pretty well hidden too.
This would be a great meal if you are doing "meatless Monday"

All of my children loved this, even my particular eating boys.

Update:  This makes a large batch.  Enough to make 2 pie- sized dishes.  We ate one entire one that night.  I was going to freeze the other but forgot.  The next day, I did some running around while my husband stayed home with our children.  When I got home the second entire dish of pasta was gone.  He said he hardly ate any of it.  The kids ate it all!  Success!  
If you try it out for your family, I'd love to know how it goes.

What do you do for your particular eaters?

Trish

1 comment:

  1. Thank for linking up with Evy's Tree! This looks amazing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete