Thursday, March 22, 2012

Veggin'

I know I've been a little MIA lately.  I've been getting orders for shirts and other misc. things and since I run a one man operation here I can't get to everything every day.

I thought I'd share a recipe with you today.

For about 2 1/2 months now we have been vegetarians in our house.  My husband became a vegan, I'm mostly vegan (I need cream in my coffee and going to my MIL's house every Sunday...you just can't pass up her food sometimes) and the kids don't really like meat anyways. 
We did this for several reasons but mainly to be healthy.  We watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives and I highly recommend you watch it.  It's very informative and interesting. 
I will admit though that it was tough at first to eat this way.  The first week or two was the hardest.  It's gotten much easier though and I feel great.  I have lots more energy to chase the kiddos around with.
Of course, one upside is that you lose a couple pounds eating this way. 
This is kind of funny to me.  I lost 3lbs., my husband lost 30lbs.  No joke.

I've been trying to add vegetarian/vegan recipes to my collection.  My friends have been great in sharing recipes they find with me even if they aren't vegetarians.
The other day, at my moms group, my friend gave me this recipe and I tried it out tonight.  Everyone loved it!  (Sorry, I have no pictures of this recipe)
Here it is.

Black Bean and Salsa Sloppy Joes
In a skillet, heat 2tsp oil over medium heat.  Add 3 cloves minced garlic and saute 1 minute.
Add 2 1/2 cups of rinsed and drained black beans, 1 15oz jar mild salsa, 1Tbs each brown sugar & Worcestershire sauce, 1tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp cumin & 1/4tsp salt.  Bring to a simmer and cook 10 min.
Serve on whole wheat buns and top with cheddar cheese.
This recipe is from the Parenting magazine, April 2012 issue

This was a quick, easy and delicious recipe that I will be definitely using again!

Do you have any good vegetarian recipes you like?
Trish
  

No comments:

Post a Comment