Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sweatshirt Refashion

In the winter I tend to want to find my warmest, most comfy clothes to put on every day.  Who doesn't like to be very warm and comfy?  What does warm and comfy look like?  Pajamas and bathrobe, sweatshirt and sweatpants, you know what I'm talking about.  When I dress like that though,  I don't feel good about myself.  I like getting dressed and putting something cute on, like I made an attempt.  I feel more ready for the day.  

The other day I was in Target and their sweatshirts and sweatpants were 70% off.  I'm not kidding, I put just about every color sweat shirt and the only color sweat pants they had in my cart.  As I was finishing up my shopping I started feeling a little guilty.  I put the sweatpants back and kept only a few of the sweatshirts.  While walking around I kept thinking that I could do something to make these plain sweatshirts cute and not look like I just threw the first thing on I could get out of my closet.  So I did this sweatshirt refashion.

What I used:
A plain gray sweatshirt.

And this black shirt.  I got this from Old Navy the same time I got the green corduroy I used for these pants for the guys.  I think I paid around a dollar for it.  I liked the lace insert in the front and the lace around the sleeves, if you could call them sleeves. It's a 2X.  It's always nice to find shirts that are several sizes larger because you could do a lot with them. I'll be using the rest of the fabric for another project.

Here's how I did the refashion.
I cut the neckband off the sweatshirt making it a boat neck.
I cut the lace insert out and the lace off the sleeves.  
Then sewed the insert in on the front of the sweatshirt, trimming the insert to end just at the waistband of the sweatshirt.  
I then sewed the lace around the waistband of the sweatshirt.
With the leftover lace I made a flower and glued it to a pin and pinned it on the shoulder.
That's it! Easy!

I was able to be comfy and warm and still look like I attempted to get dressed.

Trish

.

1 comment: