Saturday, January 14, 2012

Extending the life of jammies

I was going to name the title of this post "amputating your jammie feet" or something like that but I thought that might be a little strange.  But really, that's what I'm going to show you today.  All 3 of my children's feet grew faster than their bodies, especially Aubrey.  Poor girl's feet have always been the size of a girl 2 years older!  She's 4 now and has bigger feet than her 6 year old cousin.  It's ok though.  There's hope for her.  I had really big feet growing up but now I have the same size feet as most women, 8 1/2. 
My guys feet were getting squished in their footie jammies so I decided to do something about it.
I cut the feet off the jammies and put cuffs on them.   They still fit in the body just not the feet.  To me, kids pajamas are too expensive to just get rid of unless they just don't fit everywhere.  That's when it's time to get new ones.
Would you like to know how to de-foot (I made that up) your footie jammies?

Here's what you need:
Footie jammies
knit fabric
scissors
pins
sewing machine
thread


Photobucket
1. Lay your jammies flat
2. Cut the footie off the jammies straight across the top of the footie just above the elastic at the back of the footie.
3. Cut 2 pieces of knit fabric the width of the cut bottom of the jammie leg x2 (to go all the way around the leg) by about 5".  So if the cut bottom of the jammie leg is 3" your knit pieces will be 6"x5"
Photobucket
4. Right sides together, match up the short ends of  the knit piece and sew together
5. Fold piece in half so that the seam you sewed is wrong sides together.  Now you have a tube
6. Pin knit "tube" lining up raw edges.  Sew using your zig-zag stitch so the seam will stretch making it easier to put jammies on without breaking stitches.  You don't need to finish your seams because knits and fleece ( our jammies are fleece) don't fray.
Now you are done!
Photobucket
 Was this helpful?  If you have any questions or if anything isn't too clear just drop me a line!
Trish


No comments:

Post a Comment